Saturday, December 7, 2013

6th Day

Five days have already passed since I started this challenge. Although I tried to make something new every day, it feels like I will never get used to it. It was good because I felt sense of accomplishment after the cooking but each cooking required buying groceries, cooking, and cleaning up after; it was little bit tiresome, especially because of the fact that each time was like an experiment to me. It would be much easier to just know how to cook and more comfortable if I don't have to check each step while cooking. Nevertheless. I won't give up on my challenge. 

Today, I'm going to try something more time-consuming: 
 

Korean Seaweed Soup (Miyuk gook) 



Expected Total Time: 1 hour, 25 minutes

Ingredients:

      • 1 oz dried seaweed 
  • 1 Tbsp sesame oil
  • 3 cups soup stock*
  • 2 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • Salt to taste


Preparation:

  1. Rehydrate seaweed by placing in a large bowl and covering with water for 30 minutes.
  2. Drain seaweed, squeeze out excess water, and cut into 2-inch pieces.
  3. In soup pot over medium heat, sauté seaweed in sesame oil for 2 minutes.
  4. Add garlic and soy sauce and sauté for another 2 minutes.
  5. Pour stock into pot and turn heat to high.
  6. When soup begins to boil, turn down to simmer and cook for 20 minutes or until the soup looks milky.

The result was great!! This soup is served on Birthday in Korea, traditionally. Therefore, I'm satisfied that I learned how to make it; it will be useful. From now on, I can make it for my parent's birthdays. 

No comments:

Post a Comment