Tuesday, December 3, 2013

2nd Day

As the final exam approaches, the time I can use for other than studying is reducing. However, one must still eat. Besides, I don't have a skill enough to pull off cooking that is time-consuming. Therefore, I checked few cooking recipes on Google, looking for a menu that can be followed by a beginner such as myself.
The menu I chose was Kimchi Bokumbap(Kimchi Fried Rice).

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup kimchi, drained and chopped
  • 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
  • 1 Tbsp finely chopped garlic
  • 1 Tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 Tbsp butter
  • 1/3 cup thinly sliced beef, spam, pork, bacon, or ham
  • 3 cups cooked rice
  • Salt 
  • 1 Fried egg 
When I went to E-Mart yesterday. I didn't think I would be making that so I don't have all those ingredients ready.  Hence, I went to the market which is nearby since I didn't have time to go to E-Mart again. Fortunately, I could find all the things I need for Kimchi Bokumbap at that market.

Expected Total Time: 20 minutes

According to the recipe, it will take 5 minutes to prepare and 15 minutes to cook. 

Preparation:

  1. If using bacon, saute briefly on an ungreased large pan and omit oil from next step. With any other meat or a vegetarian version, start with step 2.
  2. Saute kimchi and onion in a lightly greased large pan over medium heat for a few minutes.
  3. When vegetables begin to look transparent, add ½ Tbsp of butter, garlic, and soy sauce and saute for another 2-3 minutes.
  4. Add meat or pork and continue to saute until meat is cooked.
     
  5. Turn heat off but keep pan on burner.
  6. Add rice and rest of butter, mixing to combine.
  7. Salt to taste and top with fried egg to serve.

I started to get confused from the first step. It says 'omit oil from nest step'- does it mean that step 2 goes first? With  little bit of confusion I started to saute vegetables and kimchi on a pen . The pen I have is small so I couldn't do it all at once. I put thinly sliced beef, spam, pork, bacon, and ham in order; I realized later that it was 'or', not 'and'(I had to choose one of the meats, not use all of them). 

In short, I 'did' make it but I'm not sure if I can call it 'successful'. Vegetables were burned, too much meat, and the rice was cold at the time I was done with the fried egg(which had too much salt). In addition to that, it took me about 30 minutes to prepare while it should have taken 15 according to the recipe.
Nevertheless, I ate it. I think I can do better next time.  



No comments:

Post a Comment